Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Almost Ready

336 days ago, I could not believe I was back for a week after visiting Brazil with the Young Adults. Today, I find myself asking why cant the next 6 days disappear with a "That was easy" button?

I apologize as I've been way to busy too write any updates, but should get used to it as I'll try to get one written every day during our trip.

This is Carl Gravely, and I'll be either writing the blog or making people write the blog during our trip. I ask you for your patience and to hold back your criticism. I learned last year that blogging while moving around in Brazil, with an iPhone is an amazing way to keep up communication, but my spelling, and words may not seem right. That why I have deployed my team from Centenary to correct and edit as I post. Thanks Chris Howell and Ida Powell! (you're welcome) If you would like to know something, or want to say hi, send an email to to team account at vaumcmissionteam@gmail.com

So...my summer class got crammed in and finished. A- is not good, but I'll take it. I've been trying to fit in Portuguese lessons in, and may need some more this weekend. To be honest, I forget most lessons trying to communicate with people in New York City, so I think my efforts are hopeless at this point.

I have my masonry skills ready to go, BUT as American models are more...Americanized...than the Brazilian traditional, and I know there are challenges ahead.

David has just sent an email while I'm in the middle of this post and here are a few things I can share:
The team in front of us is experiencing a lot...A LOT of rain...so we will be prepared to get muddy and wet. Raincoats and old shoes, team!

This Sunday at Thrasher, Pastor B. will have a commissioning of the team during the service, to send us off well. I wish I could make it, but I'll be traveling from NYC to Roanoke, so I'll thank you all in advance for the support I can only imagine you'll show this Sunday!

Mission Travel insurance is paid and we are covered.  I hope to not return to the states, and everyone can fight over my belongings, but I believe my mom or my brothers have called dibs on my truck.  I won't be here for the fight..but I hope someone gets that on video. (editorial comment from Chris at Centenary UMC...Carl has been threatening to stay in Brazil. Ida and I are prepared to go and retrieve him if we need to)

The rest of the team is ready to roll! We'll be in airports and closed cramped quarters for extended periods of time, I can't say that I'm looking forward to that. But with some Airborne and lots of fluids, I hope to survive the trek down south without getting sick. I am really looking forward to the wide variety of fruit juices we'll experience during our stay.

Almost packed. I keep trying to cut unnecessary items from my list, but I may just have to take two bags. I mean after all, I'm staying there anyway right? I'll find a suitable replacement in Brazil to fill my seat on the way back, but I claim no responsibility with what happens along the way. I'll be in my homeland.

Thanks again for you few loyal fans. I hope to report amazing stories and news in the days ahead!

Excited and Adventure Bound...
Carl Gravely

No comments:

Post a Comment